COME JOIN THE FUN
Anchorage YMCA (salt water pool)
5353 Lake Otis Pkwy, Anchorage
The MS Center is very appreciative that the YMCA of Anchorage offers us free use of their pool for an Adaptive Aquatic Therapy program.
Aquatic exercise class lead by a licensed physical therapist.
Join us for an hour of exercise and camaraderie! Water exercise is a great way to improve balance, coordination and strength while also providing enhanced sensory awareness and beneficial effects to decrease swelling and spasticity.
Open Swim times are when people can swim in the lap lanes or exercise independently in the designated area.
Call 907-929-2567, or email email@example.com to arrange a one-to-one session your first time, and learn appropriate exercises and the proper way to do them.
Don’t forget to sign in at the front desk in the “Group Exercise ” notebook under the “MS” tab, then proceed to the locker rooms and pool area.
AQUATIC EXERCISE CLASS
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
1:00 – 3:00 pm
Tuesdays and Thursdays
11:30 am – 3:00 pm
12:00 – 1:00 pm
Bring your suit, towel and all toiletries.
Sign in at the front desk of the YMCA in the group sign in book, under MS Center.
New locker rooms and lockers with own sign in codes.
* Private rooms for individuals in wheel chairs or needing assistance from members of the opposite sex are available. Please ask at the front desk for the access code.
Getting in & out: a hydraulic chair lift is available to help get you in and out of the pool and there are steps into the shallow end
Exercising in water offers a number of unique benefits such as safety from falling, core body temperature cooling and improvement in strength, balance and aerobic capacity among other skills.
Because the buoyancy of the water supports the body and reduces strain on joints, and aquatic exercise does not require one to be able to swim it is appropriate for all ability levels.
In addition, the YMCA pool uses a salt ionization purification system. The benefits of a salt water pool is that it is easier on the skin and eyes, leaves no irritation or smell of chlorine and increases buoyancy even more.
If one is not functionally independent in dressing and transportation, we encourage you to bring along a PCA, but if you have none, please ask us for assistance in that capacity so we can help arrange for someone to assist you. (907.929.2567)
* All participants are encouraged to consult with their physician before beginning this or any new exercise program.
* In addition, an MS Specialist and physical therapist with over 40 years experience working with neurologically involved patients is available for your first time in the pool. At this one to one meeting, she will give you exercise suggestions that address your specific needs. To set up an appointment, please call 907.929.2567 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Participants are required to bring their own swimsuit, towel and toiletries and can use the secure lockers in the changing rooms.
* Anyone requiring assistance from a care giver, or who is in a wheelchair may use the third changing room, and can obtain the access code from front desk personnel.
* Getting in and out of the pool is either by stairs or a hydraulic lift.
Time with Tots will resume in Feb. 2017
Tuesdays 12:00 noon – 1:00pm
QUESTIONS: Call Antonia at 929-2567
Bring your kids to the YMCA SALTWATER pool, enjoy meeting other parents and their kids while you spend time in the water together!
You will learn exercises to do with your kids in tow, and also have time to swim on your own while other volunteers make sure your child is safe in the water.
Please dress babies in water proof diapers and bring any personal flotation devices you have for your child.
Some flotation devices and toys are on sight but may be limited for use.